Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Weight Update and Food Forum

Today was my first official weigh-in for the Summer Challenge.....DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....I lost 1 pound!  I could look at the idea of losing 1 pound as a failure for week one, but I choose instead to be happy with the fact that I am one pound lighter this week than I was last week.  It is not the most exciting news to report and I know that I most definitely can do a much better and more consistent job during the week, yet if I truly want to focus on the long term aspects of this life choice, then I choose to be happy with one pound...not satisfied....happy!  Next week starts today!

Now for something new....I would like to create a forum for people to share their healthy culinary ideas about specific food topics each week.  I will begin by sharing a story and a meal idea I prepared and then open the floor for questions/comments/discussion/idea sharing etc...  Please feel free to jump in and post/share your thoughts about the weekly topic. 

This Week's Topic:  SALMON

Last week, I had the opportunity to work with one of my closest friends in the kitchen at the conference center she runs and it was a blast.  Getting back in the kitchen grind, even on a small scale, really got my culinary juices flowing.  I love cooking!  It is one of my greatest passions and I relish the opportunities I have to reclaim some of the old feelings I use to get when I worked in numerous seafood restaurants in high school and college.  After cooking for others all week, I had the opportunity to cook for my favorite customers...my family.  I put together a Salmon dish that I was very excited about and really enjoyed.  


The dish included:

Serrano Lime Baked Salmon
Cajun Sauteed Shrimp
Homemade Panko Crusted Okra
Curry Ginger Mushrooms
Corn on the Cob
Sauteed Broccoli
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

The Salmon was the focal point of the dish.  I seasoned it with salt, pepper, mango lime seafood seasoning and baked it with sliced Serrano peppers (seeds included) and lime twists.  The flavor of the lime and chili pepper infused nicely with the fish and was not overpowering to the palate.  I really like the combination of citrus and chili when cooking seafood of any kind, but especially on a meaty fish like Salmon.  The texture of the fish holds up nicely with the boldness of the flavor combinations.

What are some of your SALMON ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Salmon poached? It's one of those things that seems hard, but really isn't. You can poach in anything from the simplest water with a touch of lemon to a complex chili pepper and citrus liquid that you would like a lot. Zero fat, lots of taste and you can put it on and leave it while you do the rest of dinner---perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have eaten poached Salmon and really liked it, however, I have never actually poached it myself. That is something I will definitely have to try out this summer. Do you suggest just cutting and floating the chilis in the poaching liquid with the citrus, or should they steep for a little while before putting the fish in with them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! We eat salmon about once a week. I'm going to try your style next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome....let me know how you like it! I also really like smoking it on a cedar plank in the charcoal grill.

    ReplyDelete