Friday, July 8, 2011

In Remembrance of MeMa!

As you probably have noticed...I did not post an update this week.  The main reason for this comes from the fact that I have spent much of the past week helping my wife and our family deal with the loss of her grandmother.  At 93 years old, Mema was an amazing lady.  I loved her very much and I will miss her dearly.  When I met her 15 years ago, I had just lost all four of my grandparents. They each passed away within 9 months of each other.  Mema filled a much needed hole in my life and I loved the opportunities I would get at Thanksgiving and Christmas to sit and talk with her about history, literature and her beloved Savannah, Ga.  These are moments that I will never forget.


Mema and Gran: Happily Married for 70 Years!


Mema discussing history and other family secrets with me at Thanksgiving!

Dancing with Mema at my wedding!

So, with all the running around between here and Virginia, I did not get very productive or complete readings from my BodyMedia system.  I also missed a complete evening of sleep readings because my middle child became sick and I needed to take care of her.  I removed the armband to get her cleaned up in the shower and forgot to put it back on for the evening.  With so much missing data, I felt that I would not have a complete list of viable data to make a post that would truly matter.

I plan on posting again once we return from our beach trip next week.

On a separate note....

To honor the memory of my wife's grandmother, I wrote a poem.  I was not able to share it at her memorial service, so I thought I would share it on the blog.  I love and miss MeMa very much.  She was an incredible lady and someone who touched my life abundantly! 

ELEGANCE

Sun rises over a Savannah skyline,
cascading its golden fingertips across Georgia peaches
 and all the beauty of God's wondrous creation.

The soft coo of a child's laugh,
the warm comfort of a Mother's embrace.
The spirit of a Warrior, with the grace of a Lady.

A distinct Southern drawl
from the mouth of a Southern Belle
filled with wisdom, history and love.

The embrace of a friendship
turned to love, turned to devotion,
turned to eternity!

Brightness in a smile and the countenance of joy
shining through the darkness
in a world filled with pain.

Elegance personified
in the body of a woman,
walking in the love of God towards others.

Sunset on a Richmond landscape
withdrawing its golden fingertips from the
extraordinary gift of a life not soon forgotten.

Even asleep,
warming the hearts and souls of her beloved,
Even asleep,
radiating light throughout the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment