Thursday, February 3, 2011

Working out with Rocky....

During my workout this morning, I was listening to one of my favorite playlists. I just recently received an iPod from a friend and have finally joined the 21st century. This particular playlist includes the songs from "The Rocky Story," a collection of songs from the various Rocky films.  I enjoy this music because it really motivates me to push harder during my workout.  I mean, how can you not work out harder when you are picturing Rocky trudging through the Russian snow in preparation for the fight with the indestructible Drago!  As I worked trough the muscle pain and discomfort, I began to listen and focus on the lyrics of the song, "No Easy Way Out."  This Robert Tepper song contains a very poignant message, for me at least, which speaks towards the importance of pushing through the difficulties and struggles in order to reach the goals you set for yourself.  I will not transcribe all the lyrics so as not to break any copyright laws, but I will include a few of the lines that really spoke to me today.

"We're not indestructible, baby better get that straight..."

"Some things are worth fighting for, some feelings never die"

"There's no easy way out, there's no shortcut home"

"Baby, baby we can shed this skin, we can know how we feel inside. Instead of going down an endless road, not knowing if we're dead or alive."

As I pushed through the workout, each of these lines struck a chord in my heart and made me focus on the reason I was there.  This morning I had an argument with myself about getting out of bed.  I literally had to tell myself several times to "GET UP! GET UP! GET OUT OF THIS BED!" Listening to the song made me proud that I listened to myself and that I had gotten out of bed.  As I worked, I looked at my reflection in the window in front of me and was moved almost to tears.  Feelings of sadness, frustration, apathy and dejection were overtaken by feelings of hope, joy, pride and encouragement.  I know that "some things are worth fighting for" and I know that "I can shed this skin and know how I feel inside."  I know that I am no longer heading "down an endless road" and I acknowledge and accept that "there is no easy way out and there is no shortcut home"...you know, I am OK with that! 

Thanks Rocky! 

1 comment: