Friday, December 24, 2010

A Minor Christmas Miracle....

So, I got up this morning and headed to the gym in my continued effort to make the workout program a consistent endeavor.  I decided I was going to push myself today harder than I had been earlier in the week.  I warmed up with a bike ride and jumped right into my 30 minute express workout.  True to myself, I did push it.  I did the step station faster and with more effort and I increased the weight on each of the machines by 50%.  Things were going great until I suddenly became dizzy and the workout room almost turned sideways.  I stepped away from the station I was on to get my bearings and realized I had broken a cardinal rule concerning physical activity....I did not eat before I left home.  The combination of my empty stomach and my harder effort almost laid me flat on the ground.  I grabbed some water and decided it was best to walk away for the time being and get a bite to eat to help balance my sugar levels!  Now, in the past the first thing I would have done was started rationalizing why it would be perfectly fine for me to run over to McDonald's and grab a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit to help satiate my appetite...after all I HAD worked out.  Truth be told, the thought definitely crossed my mind.  McDonald's was very close and my brain is so accustomed to giving my body what it craves that shooting over to the drive-thru was actually a viable option!  Enter CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!  I said NO!  I actually got in the truck and headed the opposite direction and went a little further out of my way to go to Subway and enjoy a much healthier and responsible meal.  It felt so good to make that decision, especially since I was truly in the midst of a typical reaction to the food desires of my body.  I had a nice meal and was able to get the rest of my to-do list completed with the knowledge that I had won this battle!  Maybe this little miracle will continue to last the whole holiday season....because let's face it...a greater challenge sits just on the horizon!  CHRISTMAS DINNER WITH THE FAMILY....so much delicious food and so many temptations.  Guess I will need to focus on today's success and push to make the rest of the weekend just has fulfilling.  MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and here is to a great and prosperous NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. Joey, I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. You are so very brave to write about this. Give Tracey and the kids a Merry Christmas hug from me and Chloe. Btw- she loves WV ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy...I bet she does love it! I hope you guys had a great Christmas and are enjoying that beautiful WV landscape. I am sure there is plenty of snow for Chloe to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete