Friday, December 17, 2010

When 5:30 isn't 5:30...

So, as part of my new plan for creating a healthier life for myself, I decided that I would start getting up with my wife at 5:30...that's AM...and work out.  Now, I am not what you would call a morning person by nature. Making the choice to relinquish the warmth and coziness of my bed early in the morning to prance around the living room while driving my muscles to exhaustion is not what you would call my "cup of tea", however in the spirit of new beginnings....I press on!

This morning had been designated as the 1st day of the "Exercise Plan" and I was truly focused on keeping up my end of the bargain.....Unfortunately......In my excitement of publishing the first post of my blog, I neglected to remember that I had committed to make two separate dishes for holiday parties I was attending.  As I walked into the kitchen in preparation of heading to bed for much needed sleep, my eyes focused on the 5LBS of chicken wings and 2LBS of shrimp thawing in the sink.  At this point, I SANK!  I had to take care of this situation as leaving the food overnight and cooking it later was not an option.  My wife looked at me with sympathy and said, "Don't stay up too late."  Now for those who know me, I am an overachiever when it comes to cooking, especially for social gatherings.  I never settle for the simplest of entrees. I push myself to create interesting dishes that will hopefully "WOW" and impress my friends.  Thus my long night began. 

Fast Forward to 2:30 am and I finally headed to bed both tired and unfocused.  I still intended to keep my word and get up to work out....NO PAIN, NO GAIN.....right?  As I slithered into the bed, I rolled over to make sure that I had the alarm clock set for the soon to arrive 5:30 wake up call.  Now, my alarm clock is what you would call a "classic."  I received it as a graduation present from my older brother and by graduation, I mean from high school.  We're talking about an alarm clock that is 15 years old.  This thing is one step from having a prehistoric bird popping out and pecking you on the head to wake you up.  I checked the settings and sure enough the bright neon numbers flashed 5:30 back in my weary face...I WAS GOING TO DO IT!

I woke up after a very peaceful rest and was surprised to find that I had actually beaten the alarm to the punch.  I rolled to check the time and sure enough it read a bright 5:30!  I DID IT! I woke up on time and even though I was feeling the effects of 3 hours of sleep, I was excited about the effort I had made to stick with my commitment.  After the haziness of the early morning began to wear away, I noticed a couple of things that began to raise concerns in my mind as to the true validity of my accomplishment. First, the clock that had given me such hope had not changed numbers in several minutes.  I had surely been awake for some time and the 5:30 was still staring me in the face. Now, it may have been the sleep deprivation, but I swear I felt like that clock was chastising me!  The second clue came when suddenly I realized that I was not alone in my bed. Two bright eyed little ladies were laying next to me and begging for me to tune the TV to a "kids show!" I thought to myself that 5:30 was early even for a 5 and 3 year old.  The final clue that burst my excited bubble was the blurry image of my fully clothed and ready for the day wife emerging from the bathroom.  As my eyes focused she said in a very sweet voice, "Did you enjoy your rest?"  At this moment I began to defend myself by proclaiming my success in waking on time ready to work out...to which she replied, "No honey, it is almost 7...you overslept!"  DAMN clock....I turned to look, and that sinister apparatus continued to stare at me with the, no longer exciting, 5:30 flashing across its face.  I picked it up prepared to toss it across the room when I realized my error.  Apparently, in my exhausted state of the previous night, I neglected to switch the button from "set" to "alarm."  It had been 5:30.....ALL NIGHT!  ARRRGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the good news....there will be other mornings......and if that clock doesn't watch its back.............

4 comments:

  1. Hiya J,
    Great start... to the blog at least!
    I thought in addition to applauding and being impressed by you *here's where you should here me clapping*, I would dig up any of the resources I have found helpful and send them your way. Here's the first - something directly on topic, I think you'll find intriguing, especially if you haven't seen any of this before: http://robbinsmadanescoachtraining.com/?p=148

    Love ya bro',
    Patrick U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrick....I checked out the site and find it quite interesting. I think I will look into it further. Great to hear from you and look forward to the next time our families get to be together...Love you...you are God's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there brother. I was supposed to make food for our Graduation Project presentations last week. We have had a crazy few weeks, so instead of a typical treat, it was Pilsbury Christmas sugar cookies from a box. It was hard to do it, but it made for and easier night. (I didn't eat the cookies!) I love you. Keep it up. PS: (Get a new alarm clock! :)
    JB's Twin

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK brother, don't beat yourself up too bad, and don't be dissing on the clock! I still have the one that mom gave me around the same time and it works great! BTW, it has two alarms, although these days, that just means I have to hit snooze twice as many times!
    Hang in there! I'm proud of you and love you!

    ReplyDelete