Sunday, January 23, 2011

REALITY CHECK!

As you can see, I have not added much to the blog lately.  I have convinced myself that this is because life has gotten hectic since the holidays and I haven't had the time.  The truth is I have quickly fallen back into similar patterns in my life and have been avoiding the blog so as not to face the reality that my initial fire has fizzled somewhat!  Fortunately, I received a very supportive comment from a total stranger...thanks again Vanessa...and that got me to thinking! I realized that this is life...there are going to be continuous ups and downs, fiery moments and moments filled with lulls and poor decisions...the only thing that can change is me.  I have to start being even more honest with myself and focus through the rough times as much as the good ones!  After making this revelation, I decided to think of other realizations and rationalizations that I frequently convince myself of during times of struggle and lack of focus.  I have chosen to list them here as a reminder to myself to not fall victim to my old ways, but to renew my mind daily to the true purpose of this endeavor...a healthier and more driven ME!!!! It is amazing how the voice of a stranger can make such a difference....a lesson from which we all can learn!


JB's TOP TEN REALIZATIONS AND RATIONALIZATIONS

10. Driving by the Gym does not truly constitute WORKING OUT!
 9.  Just because the bag claims the popcorn has "no fat" when popped, doesn't make it 
      OK to eat two.
 8.  Buying Girl Scout cookies is not a truly altruistic decision.
 7.  Skipping lunch does not make it understandable to have fast food for dinner!
 6.  Once you add cheese, bacon and mayo...SUBWAY is no longer a healthy alternative.
 5.  Salad should never be purchased by the pound.
 4.  Going to the grocery store is a necessity, not a destination!
 3.  The snack machine is not a pharmacy with prescriptions for low blood sugar.
 2.  Even healthy food deserves portion control.
 1.  BOREDOM DOES NOT EQUAL HUNGRY!

7 comments:

  1. So glad I've found this blog. You are so brave to put it all out there on mainstreet. I am beginning to have some of your same thoughts. I have to do something and this blog may be the vehicle to help me stay focused. Wishing us both luck and another route to the mailroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding item #8. Emerson reminded us to be mindful of our charity. Sometimes what seems charitable might not actually be so. Wouldn't the Girl Scouts (and any other group that sells something to make money for their cause) profit much more from a direct contribution than from purchasing their product?

    Regarding item # 6. I've learned to QUICKLY say "no cheese" at Subway...if for no other reason that you can't even TASTE the cheese. Therefore, why waste the calories.

    Believe me, Young One, I do NOT have the answers or the strength to do the right thing even MOST of the time, but I had to comment on your blog.

    I saw you in the grocery store parking lot yesterday! Did you see me?

    Love you!
    Mama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN Darla....we can definitely help each other!

    MAMA...as always your wisdom and love is much appreciated...sorry I missed you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JB! It's me again! I just wanted to say I know it was God who was tugging on my heart to post a comment on your blog since that is not something I would normally do! I am glad you were encouraged! This, again, is random but I also began a blog last March in my search of just being "real" and myself as I live life! Perhaps that is why I was so touched by your "realness!" And love your sense of humor!! My site is mixedmotives.wordpress.com if you are ever bored! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the top ten list! I would like to "borrow" it for our fridge if that's ok. I must admit my obsession seems to be with Bojangles' seasoned fries. I am trying a program at our gym that is basically the nutrition class I avoided for the past 20+ years. It is eye-opening when you keep a food journal with ALL of the details - calories, carbs, fat, etc. I'm still using lack of accountability or support as one of my excuses, so your blog is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha

    Of course you can use the list...I used to keep a journal and it worked really well. I should probably start that again. There is a really cool website that is free and helps keep and track your food for you...it is:

    www.sparkpeople.com

    It is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. Keep up the good work and we can help keep each other on the right path! So good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your top 10 list is great. I, too, need to print this for my fridge! I would add, for myself, that needing a diet coke does not justify buying the McRib value meal. (I keep saying that diet coke is my gateway drug to McDonald's.) I love reading your blog and your wife's!

    ReplyDelete