Sunday, March 13, 2011

Full Disclosure: Entry #2 (Sunday 3/13/2011)

Day #2...a very nice day with the family.  I was able to take care of some of the chores around the house, got in a workout at the gym and even got a chance to spend some time with the kids at the park.  Springing forward wasn't too much of an issue, even though I did find myself nodding off during the afternoon.  A short power nap was just the ticket to get myself ready for the gym...that and a little poking and prodding from the wife.  I am glad she pushed today, because it felt great being at the gym and taking care of myself even if it was just for a little more than an hour.  I felt more energetic and was able to really enjoy playing with the kids at the park.  Now, on to the food....

Food Log:

Breakfast: 1 Boiled Egg, 1 Slice of Whole Wheat Toast, Cantaloupe, Apples. (271 calories, 5.5 fat, 1.5 sat. fat, 12 protein, 7 fiber)

Lunch: Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Hot Dogs w/ Chili, Whole Wheat Buns, Pretzels, Romaine Leaves, Carrots, Fat Free French Dressing. (648 calories, 11 fat, 1.5 sat. fat, 45 protein, 19 fiber)

Dinner: Broiled Salmon, Herb Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Broccoli. (495 calorie, 8.8 fat, 1 sat. fat, 54.5 protein, 11.8 fiber)

Snack: PowerBar Harvest Energy Bar, ThinkThin Bar. (490 calories, 13 fat, 5 sat. fat, 30 protein, 6 fiber)

Total Nutritional Data: 1904 calories, 38.3 fat, 9 sat. fat, 141.5 protein, 43.8 fiber

Water: 116 oz.

Exercise: Elliptical Machine (35 mins./2.5 miles), Treadmill (30 mins./1.5 miles @ 3 incline)

Wrap Up: I was happy with the amount of food I was able to eat today and still stay within my ranges.  I still came up a little short on calories, but was much closer.  I went over fat just a bit, but that was balanced by being just under yesterday.  I had the PowerBar and ThinkThin Bar at the gym and will probably just go with one from now on.  I was actually testing them to see which I liked and I preferred the PowerBar Harvest Energy Bar in both taste and nutrients. 

I also thought it might be helpful if I occasionally spotlight one of my daily meals in an effort to give you additional information about preparation techniques and portion size.  Hopefully, this will offer ideas for those looking for something to spice up their own kitchen...tonight I will highlight my Salmon dinner.


This meal included 8 oz. of Salmon which I baked at 375 for 20 mins. and then finished under a broiler for about 5 mins.  The sides included 3/4 of a cup of homemade herb mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup of whole kernel corn and 1 cup of sauteed broccoli.  For the potatoes, I boiled about 6 large red potatoes, w/ skin, in salt and peppered water.  Once the potatoes were fork tender, I drained them and added 1 cup of skim milk.  I chose not to use butter for this recipe to help maintain a fat free dish.  After blending the milk and potatoes, I added rosemary and fresh Italian parsley for flavor.  The corn was just tossed in 3/4 cup of boiling water and once the water began boiling a second time, I covered and simmered on low for about 5 - 8 mins.  I also chose not to add extra butter to this dish.  For the broccoli, I cut fresh stalks and added them to a pan with about 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil.  I sauteed the broccoli on medium high heat for about 8 mins. and then poured in a splash of fat free chicken stock to allow the stalks to steam for a few mins.  This softens the broccoli while allowing it to maintain a little crunch.  The meal turned out really well, was quite filling and came in under 500 calories and had less than 9 grams of total fat.
So, day 2 is in the books and now the challenge of a hectic week awaits!

1 comment: