Sunday, March 20, 2011

Full Disclosure: Entry #8 (Saturday 3/19/2011)

Day #8....What a fantastic day.  Each and every day I get the chance to spend with my family is precious.  With the busy schedule that I keep during the week I am learning to allow much more time on the weekends to hang out and focus on time with my wife and kids.  It was also a great day for eating as I was able to have enough time to plan and create meals that helped meet the nutritional goals I have set for myself.  Having the extra time to put together meals is something I need to work on during the week, so I am not missing my caloric intake so frequently.

Food Log:

Breakfast: 1 Egg, 2 Red Potatoes, 1 Slice of Multigrain Toast, 1 Slice Turkey Bacon, Green Tea. (513 calories, 7.5 fat, 2 sat. fat, 21 protein , 10 fiber )

Lunch: InnovAsian Spicy Beef and Broccoli, Sesame-Ginger Mushrooms, Brown Rice w/ Black Beans, Corn, Peppers and Onions, Apple.  (843 calories, 11 fat, 3 sat. fat, 47.5 protein, 17.5 fiber)

Dinner: 4 oz. BBQ Grilled Chicken Breast, 1 Ear of Corn on the Cob, Assorted Grilled Veggies, 2 Slices Garlic Multigrain Toast, Sauteed Snap Beans  (567 calories, 8 fat, 1 sat. fat, 52 protein, 17 fiber)

Snacks: PowerBar Harvest Grain Energy Bar (250 calories, 5 fat, 2.5 sat. fat, 10 protein, 5 fiber)

Total Nutritional Data: 2173 calories, 31.5 fat, 8.5 sat. fat, 130.5 protein, 49.5 fiber

Water: 148 oz.

Exercise: Treadmill (20 mins./1.2 miles @ 3 incline), 30 mins. Express Workout (mix of step aerobics and weight training), Exercise Bike (20 mins./4.5 miles @ level 10)

Featured Meal: InnovAsian Spicy Beef and Broccoli w/ Sesame-Ginger Mushrooms
                        

For this lunch, I used a meal by InnovAsian and added a little of my own upgrades.  InnovAsian included in their meal the spicy sauce, seasoned beef and the broccoli and carrots.  First, I heated 2 tsp. of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for about 2 mins., then I tossed in the veggies and beef and stir fried them for about 2 mins. Next, I added the spicy brown sauce, reduced the heat to medium-high and cooked the veggies and beef in a covered pan for about 7 mins.  While that was cooking, I cut and sauteed some mushrooms in a Sesame-Ginger sauce.  I added a little extra ground ginger just to heighten the flavor.  I took a cup of leftover brown rice that we had mixed with black beans, onions, peppers and corn and heated it in the microwave for about 2 mins.  As you can see, I plated the rice in the center of the dish by scooping it into a measuring cup and surrounded it with the Beef and Broccoli mixture.  I topped it all with the Sesame-Ginger Mushrooms and threw on a nice sprig of flat leaf Italian Parsley for a little garnish.  This was a simple and easy way to brighten up and add a personal touch to a boxed frozen meal.    

Wrap Up:  It was great to hit my nutritional marks and to see that I can plan meals that are calorie dense and still tasty.  Going forward, I am going to try and take more time the night before to prepare breakfasts and lunches that will give me a stronger caloric start to my day.  After one week of doing the food tracking, I have noticed that I back load a large number of my calories for the day, because I do not have very calorie dense meals in the mornings and afternoons.  If I can plan a little better and have the meals available before I leave for work in the morning, I know I can become more consistent with getting to my calorie goals.  Also, I have now made it to the gym on consecutive days and am loving it.  It is a great feeling of accomplishment to get to the gym and get in a workout.  My energy levels have been greater and I have had a much more satisfied feeling about the day.  One week is in the books...only two more to go and hopefully this routine will me my new habit!

2 comments:

  1. Too bad we have no pics of the amazing meals you grilled this weekend! SOOOOOO yummy and super healthy!

    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...I plan on including more pics from here on out, at least to spice up the posts in some ways. The meals were more enjoyable, because they were shared with my wonderful wife and amazing kids!

    You are the best! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete